Sunday, February 20, 2011

Topic 2: Introduction to Phonology

Topic 2: Introduction to Phonology

For Topic 2, I learnt about phonology. Phonology is the study of how sounds are organized and used in natural languages. Therefore, I had exposed to the organs involved in the articulation of the sounds while learning that topic.   I had learnt about speech organs and English sounds (vowel or diphthong sounds and consonant sounds).   Speech organs produce many sounds for language. Organs used include the lips, teeth, tongue, alveolar ridge, hard palate, velum (soft palate), uvula and glottis.

 For ISL task 1, we had divided into the group of five. We were require to search information  for at least  tongue twister for pronunciation practice. Therefore, we had search for our tongue twister. After we choose our favorite tongue twister, we had practice to pronounce each word correctly. Actually, the tongue twister   is very useful to help me to pronounce English words since it is hardly to pronounced. I think the tongue twister competition that had been carried out really help me a lot especially for pronunciation aspect. The lectures given in class also help me in learning the vowel and diphthongs. Though I had learned them during my pre-degree (foundation) course, I mostly forgot them. Hence, this topic really benefits me in revising the phonology itself.  As I had mentioned in topic 1, our multicultural and dialect can affects our language. These also include our pronunciation as well. Therefore, tongue twister is the best activity to be carried out because we can practice to pronounce better in English.

 Then for ISL task 2, we were required to complete the table of minimal pair. We had identified five minimal pairs. I think that task was quite challenging since we had to find the word that had minimal pairs with initial, medial, and final phoneme differences. We had to change the words for so many times, because sometimes the words have minimal pairs with initial and final phoneme differences but not in medial differences.  Therefore, the dictionary is useful during finding the suitable word. 
  
Concisely, I think I really have enjoyed my time during learning this topic. I think phonology is  my favorite topic so far. I do not know why I like it but I really enjoy learning something new especially in pronouncing words in English. As teacher-to-be, it is important to learn phonology because it benefits us especially in pronouncing words. If I do not start it from now to pronounce well, I may face problem in teaching my students in the future. It is because as a English teacher we should not do pronunciation error or else we will jeer by our students later.  Hence, I really wish someday I could speak fluently like the British people since I learn to learn their language.  :)



Activity 1:

Access information from the internet for at least 3 tongue twisters for pronunciation practice in tutorial practice in tutorial week 5.

Tongue Twister Competition

We had chosen this tongue twister during the tongue twister competition in the tutorial.

Lesser weather never weathered lesser wetter weather.
/lɛsə wɛðə nɛvə wɛðərd lɛsə wɛtə wɛðər/

 Big black bugs bleed blue black blood but baby bugs bleed blue blood.
/bɪg blæk bəgz bli:d blu: blæk bləd bət beɪbi bəgz bli:d blu: bləd/

King thistle stuck a thousand thistles in the thistle of his thumb. A thousand thistles king thistle stuck in the thistle of his thumb. If king thistle stuck a thousand thistles in the thistle of his thumb, how many thistles did king thistle stick in the thistle of his thumb?
/kɪŋ θɪsəl stək ə θawzənd θɪsəlz ɪn ðə θɪsəl əv hɪz θəm/.
 /ə θawzənd θɪsəlz kɪŋ θɪsəl stək ɪn ðə θɪsəl əv hɪz θəm/
/ ɪf kɪŋ θɪsəl stək ə θawzənd θɪsəlz ɪn ðə θɪsəl əv hɪz θəm, haw mɛni θɪsəlz dɪd kɪŋ θɪsəl stɪk ɪn ðə θɪsəl əv hɪz θəm?/

Goup member: Adelina Guntor
                             Seranie Ngaoh
       Siti Khatijah
       Stefi Lavina (me)
Reference:

Activity 2:

Access information from the internet to complete a table of five minimal pairs with initial, medial, and final phoneme differences. Transcribe the words in phonetics.

Here is our five minimal pair. 




Goup member: Adelina Guntor
                        Seranie Ngaoh
       Siti Khatijah
       Stefi Lavina (me)

No comments:

Post a Comment